- Our Work
- Get Involved
Research Elective at JHU: Applying
STEP 1: DETERMINE WHAT TO WORK ON
Students who haven’t already entered discussions with Hopkins faculty about research opportunities can learn more about ongoing studies in the Research Section of our website: https://hopkinscidi.org/research-section. Review and narrow down 3-5 studies/projects that align with your interests.
STEP 2: DISCUSS YOUR SKILLS/INTERESTS
Email Spruha Kurlekar (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following information to determine if there could be a good fit. The following information should be included in this initial email:
- Complete CV/Resume
- 3-5 studies/projects that align with your interests
- Approximate timeline for visit
- Skills you can offer and hope to develop
- Times that you are available for a meeting (by zoom), if needed
Spruha will confirm if you should submit an application within 2 weeks of receiving your email.
STEP 3: REFER TO THE JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY VISMED WEBSITE
International medical students should apply for a research elective through the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Visiting Medical Student Program (VISMED). International students may apply only for research electives; clinical electives are not permitted.
- Please follow the steps on the Visiting Medical Student Information page to compile your application packet after receiving confirmation from Spruha Kurlekar that you should apply.
STEP 4: SUBMIT THE APPLICATION TO JOHNS HOPKINS SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Students are encouraged to apply up to 6 months before the start of the elective. Applications are accepted ONLY via mail, and should be addressed to:
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Office of the Registrar
Edward D. Miller Research Building
Attn: Visiting Student Coordinator
733 North Broadway, Suite 147
Baltimore, MD 21205
- It is advisable to use a shipping courier that is reliable and lets you track your package.
- You will receive email confirmation from email@example.com when your application is received and has been reviewed.
- If your application is incomplete, you will receive an email that identifies missing and/or erroneous items in your application.
- If your application is complete, you will receive an email that states your application has been received and is being forwarded for departmental consideration.
- The immunization record form is sent to University Health Services (UHS) for review. UHS will contact you by email only if your immunization record form is incomplete; if you do not receive an email from UHS, your immunization record form has been approved.
- Once you receive a confirmation email, we recommend that you email firstname.lastname@example.org to inform the School of Medicine that you have been in contact with Spruha Kurlekar, and that they are interested in working with you. Please copy Spruha on this email.